- Understand the skills you need to plan your own walks in the outdoors.
- Gain confidence in using the map
Get out on a hill with an experienced navigator and guide and find out the skills needed.
By making no assumptions about previous experience, this course is perfect for complete novices who are looking for an introduction before committing to a course.
During the course you will look at:
- Working from, and understanding maps – Scales, Rights of Way, Grid References.
- Measuring distances – Timing and Pacing.
- Contour recognition – Understanding the shape of the land.
- Routefinding skills – Using natural features, hazard avoidance.
- Route planning
Equipment Required: Standard hillwalking gear including good waterproofs and walking boots/shoes. A packed lunch and a drink are also necessary. Do bring your own compass if you have one.
With a few exceptions, participants aged 13+ can attend our scheduled courses independently.