- Learn to navigate away from tracks and paths.
- Gain confidence with practical support from experienced instructors.
- Training and Assessment to the NNAS Silver standard.
If you already have some experience of navigating your way around on paths and tracks but are looking to extend your skills and move into more challenging situations then our Silver NNAS Beginner Navigation Course is for you. Over the two days, you will gain valuable experience of the skills you need to successfully navigate across open countryside. The course is practical and features as much time out on the hills as possible giving you plenty of opportunities to practise and gain advice and encouragement from our experienced instructors.
This course is designed as a progression from our Beginner Navigation award but is suitable for anyone who has spent some time walking in the outdoors and feels confident navigating along paths and tracks.
The Intermediate Navigation Course covers the syllabus and is assessed to the Silver NNAS (National Navigation Award Scheme) level. By the end of the course, you will feel confident in a range of compass techniques and have a far better understanding of contour features and how to make use of them.
During the course you will look at:
- Taking and walking on bearings.
- Measuring distances with pacing and timing.
- Navigating using contours.
- Relocation using a compass and small features.
- Using a compass effectively: Attack points, Aiming off, Back bearings.
- Poor visibility strategies.
- Route planning away from paths and tracks.
Some previous experience of navigating in the countryside, mostly on paths and tracks. This experience may have been gained on our Beginners Navigation Course or may have been self-taught.
Equipment Required: Standard hillwalking gear including good waterproofs and walking boots/shoes. A packed lunch and a drink are also necessary. We provide maps and have some compasses available to borrow or buy. Do bring your own compass if you have one.
With a few exceptions, participants aged 13+ can attend our scheduled courses independently.