- Develop the skills you need to plan your own walks in the outdoors.
- Gain confidence with practical support from experienced instructors.
- Training and Assessment to the National Navigation Awards Scheme standard (NNAS).
Our popular Bronze NNAS Beginner Navigation Course is the perfect introduction to the art of navigation. Over the two days you will gain valuable experience of the skills you need to successfully plan and follow walks of your own devising. The course is practical and features as much time out on the hills as possible giving you plenty of opportunity to practise and gain advice and encouragement from our experienced instructors. By the end of the course you will have a solid grounding in map reading skills and some experience of basic compass techniques.
By making no assumptions about previous experience this course is equally suitable for complete novices and seasoned walkers who are looking for an introduction to formal navigation techniques. The Beginner Navigation Course covers the syllabus and is assessed to the Bronze NNAS (National Navigation Award Scheme) level. Since 2016, the NNAS has been accredited by the SCQF (Scottish Credit & Qualification Framework). Registration onto the scheme and certification is included in the price.
During the course you will look at:
- Understanding maps – Scales, Rights of Way, Grid References.
- Developing a navigation strategy – Distance, Direction, Check Off and Overshoot.
- Measuring distances – Timing and Pacing.
- Using a compass – Map orientation, taking and walking a bearing.
- Following a bearing in poor visibility.
- Contour recognition – Understanding the shape of the land.
- Routefinding skills – Using natural features, hazard avoidance.
- Route planning
Equipment Required: Standard hillwalking gear including good waterproofs and walking boots/shoes. A packed lunch and a drink are also necessary. We provide maps and have some compasses available to borrow or buy. Do bring your own compass if you have one.
With a few exceptions, participants aged 13+ can attend our scheduled courses independently.