1 long day
- Learn to navigate in poor visibility and at night.
- Expand and refine your skills to use in any terrain or weather.
- Get ready for MLTB award schemes
A tough but rewarding experience that builds on and refines existing skills. Using smaller and more infrequent features and navigating in poor weather or the dark. On completion, you will be able to plan and follow routes in any open countryside, forest or hill environment and will have gained a lot of confidence in your ability to navigate in difficult conditions.
During the course you will look at:
- Refining and improving existing skills.
- Aspect of slope, contouring, mapping, search techniques.
- Navigating in poor visibility and at night.
- Combining techniques to navigate difficult terrain.
- Relocation strategies.
Pre-Requisites: A significant amount of previous formal navigation experience is assumed, this may have been gained by completing a Silver NNAS Course or other equivalent training.
Equipment Required: Standard hillwalking gear including good waterproofs and walking boots/shoes. A packed lunch and a drink are also necessary. Head torch. We provide maps and have some compasses available to borrow or buy. Do bring your own compass if you have one.